Bondi Beach attack suspect Naveed Akram makes first ‘silent’ court appearance

Bondi Beach terror attack suspect Naveed Akram appears at Sydney court via video link

Bondi Beach attack suspect Naveed Akram makes first ‘silent’ court appearance
Bondi Beach attack suspect Naveed Akram makes first ‘silent’ court appearance

Bondi Beach terror attack suspect Naveed Akram has made his first court appearance at a Sydney court.

According to Sky News, the suspect behind the terror attack on the famous Australian beach, Akram, appeared in court via video link on Monday, February 16, wearing a green prison-issued jumper.

The 24-year-old who is accused of killing 15 people by opening fire on a Hanukkah celebration remained silent most of the time during the hearing.

As per local media reports, the suspect remotely joined the hearing from the high-security prison Goulburn Correctional Centre and spoke very briefly only to confirm he has heard the discussion about extending non publication orders that keep the victims’ details confidential.

Akram, along with his father, Sajid, opened fire on a Hanukkah celebration at Bondi Beach on December 14 last year. The 50-year-old died during the attack.

He is facing 59 charges, including 15 counts of murder, 49 counts of injuring with the intent to murder and a terror offence.

Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters outside Downing Centre Local and District Court that his client was doing well, adding that he could not say anything about how the 24-year-old will plead to the charges, as he has not yet discussed details with him.

He said, “I haven't spoken to him about the attack in that regard. All that we're doing at the moment is starting the process… we're waiting for the brief to be served. There's nothing more I ⁠can say. He's just a client, and he's a client that needs to be represented.”

“And we don't let our personal views get in the way of our professional obligations. The matter has been adjourned, I have nothing more to say,” he added.

The case is expected to return to court in April.

It is worth noting that the Bondi Beach terror attack was the biggest and worst mass shooting in Australia since 1996.